August 8, 2008

The End.

All hail the last day of school. What a trip this year has been. I don't even know where to begin. I've been stretched, beaten, pulled, pushed, and throw into anything and everything for the past 7 1/2 months. Starting with Student Teaching in 5th grade math in January to 3rd grade for a couple weeks and 4th grade for a few days in the middle to the end of the year where I was in 2nd grade in August. Right now I feel indescribable. Like this huge load has been taken off of me. At least for 2 weeks.

I'm sure I've talked about my story, but here it goes again. I still remember the day I entered the doors of Judith Steele Elementary full of anxiety and... well that's pretty much the only feeling I had that morning. When I learned I was in 5th grade but I would only be teaching math I remember wondering if that would help or hinder my experience. But I decided to stick with it. Turns out it was the best thing that could happen to me. My student teaching experience felt like it was unique and perhaps even more difficult than maybe some other people might have gone through. Besides the fact that I was full time after about a month and in the classroom by myself most of the time, there was so much that happened during those months.

It happened on my birthday, April 29th. We told the students that our writing teacher had been in a car wreck 2 weeks before and was in bad shape, was still in the hospital, and was not coming back this year. This was also the first I had heard of it. 175 crying students is too much to handle, especially when you have to hold it together for the sake of the kids. But through this horrible incident came... me. I had been asked to take over his class for the rest of the year... until July 17th. We decided to tell the kids on my last day of student teaching, somehow we kept it a secret for about a week and a half. We told them in the morning after announcements. It's a moment I won't ever forget. They all crowded around and our math teacher as she told them we had found their new teacher, and I was standing there with kids crawling all over me waiting to hear who it would be... there was a dramatic pause.... and then she said "Misssss Thomasssss!" And there was a flood of screams and kids rushing to me.
So here I am, in a classroom that was someone else's but would become mine for the next 2 months. I decided to make it my own and kill myself over making it pretty and decorated. Nervous that the kids would hate me for changing his room I was surprised at how excited they were over all the colors and Star Wars figures on my desk and Kung Fu Panda poster hanging over my desk. It was nice. These 175 kids are a bunch that I will never forget. There are a few that I would LOVE to see in the future and many that I would be ok just wondering about once and a while. I never thought I would have gotten that close to a group of 10 and 11 year olds. But it was SUCH a great experience to go through. I was in charge of decorations for the 5th grade dance and they turned out amazing! I appreciated how the teachers treated me like a teacher as did the rest of the staff. It was really hard to say good-bye to the kids.

Then I was off to long-term sub for 2nd grade for the last 2 weeks of school. I'll blame it on the fact that it was the end of the year... but it was absolute hell. Little 2nd graders can be cute, but really? They were CRAZY! I was never happy to get up and go to this class every day. Which makes me sad, maybe I didn't try hard enough. Or maybe I just do not have the personality for smaller kids. But the end is here and I can honestly say I do not miss those 2nd graders.

So what's next for this fresh outta college girl? Well, I'm staying here at Steele and I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. I'll be their "in house sub" and fill in when needed. I don't really know the details AT ALL, but I was looking at the teacher's boxes in the teacher's lounge and I saw one with "Thomas" on it!!! And assuming they haven't hired a new teacher with that last name, I'm assuming it's ME! I feel good about this arrangement. I think this past 7 months was crazy and it'll be good to kinda ease myself into teaching. And I've been thinking about teaching 6th grade math! So we'll see what happens. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got your own box? sweet!
Glad you're feeling better about it!
And wow. you really know your computers... the blog looks so fancy! jealous.

Emily said...

Hello! It sounds like things are going well for you. I'm back in Vegas now and I have been struggling to get hired and make sure I have all my paper work for my license and stuff. I had a brief week of peace when I knew that I would at least have a job until the district said they wouldn't be hiring any more teachers at this time. As of now, I am going to be a long term sub on the East side of town...in 5th grade! I've just loved working in the younger grades and haven't experienced the older ones too much. What are your secrets? Tell me what you like about 5th grade. What was it like only teaching math? (I will only be teaching reading.) How did you manage so many students? How did you set up your classroom? Sorry...I have too many questions for you, but I would like to hear any ideas you have to give me peace for school starting in 2 weeks. Thanks in advance!!