February 8, 2008

5th Grade

Three weeks into my student teaching and I was thinking about my kids today and how I'm starting to cherish them. I haven't talked about my students yet!! So if you haven't heard yet, I have 175 5th graders for my Student Teaching! I know right? I was a little freaked out at first but it's so much fun! And I'm on the path to learning ALL their names. I have 2 classes and about 10 kids from each of the other 3 classes memorized so that's about half!

But anyway, I've started bonding with them and showing my real self which is a little mean, but whatever... they need that in a teacher I've started to see. So even though I yell at them because they're lazy I really do it because I want them to succeed and see their real potential.

It breaks my heart to hear about the lives of some of these kids. I think that's going to be the worse part about this job is seeing the pain these kids have to go through and sometimes pain that they can't escape or had no choice in. Really, it's unbearable and I just want to change their lives for them!

The neat thing about having so many kidos is there are SO many different personalities and they're so amusing. My teacher and I were laughing at them because they were given an assignment (it's math and it was on polygons) and it was SO easy and we thought they'd finish it in like 15 minutes. But really... we were watching them get their paper out.... then find their pencil... then get their book out.... then bug everyone around them to see what page they were on. It takes them so long! And to see the kids who try so hard and come in to get help because they actually care is just amazing! They're such awesome younglings!

But I'm seeing how much they watch you and how much they actually take to heart. Since I haven't been in a classroom for more than 3 hours a day 4 days a week I haven't really seen that as much as I do now. So I can honestly say that I'm so excited for the next 2ish months I have with them!

0 comments: