May 5, 2008

Only 4 days left

It's a sure thing that I will be teaching Writing from May 12th to July 17th to the same group of 5th graders I am with now. Today I walked into my teacher's classroom and she just started with the questions... "What do you think you want to do for procedures?" "How are you going to decorate?" "Do you have any lesson plans yet?" and so on a so forth. I guess I was just excited to have a good paying job again that I failed to think about the most important things. So that's what I started thinking about today.

Along with that... my teacher tells me that she thinks it'd be a fun surprise to NOT tell them that I'm going to teach them and I should just show up on Monday ready to teach. She thinks this would be a great pick me up for them considering all that's been going on latley. I understand... but then again... all day today kids were remembering that this is my last week and that I'd "be gone" next week. So they're going to have to be sad first before it gets better. We shall see how this all ends up! And they keep telling me to just be prepared because kids can be a little resilient at first with change but they'll come around. I'm not TOO much of a change... but still.

This also presents the problem of I can't really do much in the class I'll be in. And I can't do much decorating because then they'll know I'm going to be there!!! So I have all these ideas that I'm working on but can't start till FRIDAY! But I did in fact start cleaning and organizing because the room is a MESS! And I can't work like that. So here are the 2 cupboards I cleaned out today!

Before:
After:

Really... I'm going to be ready for my first year of teaching because of all this that's happening!

2 comments:

Emily said...

WoW! Good work, Melissa! I'm coming to teach in Las Vegas...well, I need a job... Do you know your plans yet? Send me a message sometime. I want you, me and Tobi to be teacher friends! Hope things are going well!

Anonymous said...

You start today!! YAY! Did you really not tell your students? That's fun! Hope you got your classroom fixed up how you wanted! Did you finish your windmill stuff? AHH!! You're really doing it!!