March 9, 2009

Why am I a teacher?


Sometimes I wonder why I'm a teacher. It's so hard and stressful and at times I wonder if being in it for the kids is enough. Well... I have discovered that yes, it is worth it. Here are some certain insistence of when it hits me...

1. I gave one of my kids The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas to read because he's really in to the Holocaust and WWII. I told him the ending was sad and to be prepared and I kept asking where he was at. Today, everyone was doing their math classwork, and he was done so he read. Then, he dropped his book down, sighed, and looked at me with this look... I can't really describe it. He said "I'm done" and I gave him the same look he gave me. I knew that I was a teacher at that moment because he felt the impact of the story like I did. It was just a really cool moment.

2. One of my struggling students scored a 100% on his long division test when everyone else sucked. It was FANTASTIC!

3. I raced my students in 50 meters last week and beat them all. Now they all say "NO!!! Miss Thomas is the fastest in the class!!!"

4. One of my students used Darth Vader as a reference to a vocabulary word... it was prosthetic. :)

5. My Mexican girl who came straight from Mexico, beat 10 kids in around the world. Which is racing to get the multiplication fact fastest. It was awesome.

6. One of my girls who hates reading, started reading Twilight and now she doesn't want to stop reading! :)

That's all that comes to mind as of right now, but it's enough to keep me going. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I commented on this on facebook, but I wanted to say Dang girl! Everyone and their Uncle commented on that Note! I think we all agree what you're doing is fantastic. Hard, but fantastic nonetheless.

Also, your blog header makes me giggle!