April 22, 2009

Work

God calls us to work. He calls us to work and to glorify him in doing it. Sometimes I hate when people make a big deal about me doing "all the things that real teachers have to do" and not getting paid the same amount they do. The fact is... it's my job and has been since the beginning of the year for these kids! God has put me there and who else is going to "do the real teacher things" if I'M not going to?!?! I do all this work because it's my JOB. I do the work because it's what I signed up to do!! Yeah... I don't get paid enough for all I do, but that's not the point! It's really starting to annoy me. Maybe I just don't see the big deal in my situation like other people seem to.

I'm happy where I am, I love my kids, I love my job and I would NEVER change it for the world. Tonight, I've realized how lucky I am to have gone my whole life being so sure of what I wanted to do when I grew up and I'm actually DOING it! I have realized that my job is hard, but if it isn't hard then I'm probably not doing it as well as I should be. I have realized that I see my job as more of a ministry then just a duty. I have a chance to show these children Christ's love, and grace. I have a chance to make a difference in their lives.

So yes... I may complain at times. I may get frustrated for more of those times. I may get way in over my head. But it's all for the glory of God, and if I'm not working for His glory then what am I even doing? For all of you who read this, maybe you're a believer, maybe not... but no matter what your job is, do it well. We were all given the ability to work and to do it well... so stop complaining and just be thankful for what God has given you. I have found that when I remember why we work in the first place, it makes me want to get up and go to my job in the morning. Life can suck... but it doesn't have to.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing that, Melissa. I needed it. Teaching is hard and sometimes I let it get me down. You are right in saying we should be grateful for the opportunity to work. I'm grateful to have a job and to help these kids who need us so much. Thank you for the reminder. I hope things are going well for you!

Anonymous said...

You see things with such clarity sometimes. It's beautiful. You've got so many gifts, and it's so cool that you are getting to use them in your job-even if you're not getting paid for all the toil. Love you!!